Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Pre-conceptions.... or mis-conceptions?

I am full of preconceptions about Israel.

If you look at websites, its all about historic sites, beautiful beaches, lovely, lively cities.
They all speak English, but if you ask Google Maps for directions half the street names are in Hebrew.
If you read the BBC news website, well you just wouldn't visit in fear of being shot or bombed!

So what is true?

I came to Switzerland thinking everyone would be super clever, super advanced and super rich. My misconceptions were soon proved false... but the trains run on time and public toilets are clean!

What will be proved false in Israel?

Another burning question is what to visit in our 3 free day?

Having recently read that Jerusalem is not really Israeli controlled, "safe to visit"? I don't know... worth visiting with a 5 year old.... unlikely!
The Dead Sea is definitely on our list.
If anyone has any other suggestions please chip in. Remember we are travelling with a 5 year old with about as much interest in old buildings as I have in a car engine!

4 days before we leave, our Therapy manager asks for a teachers report??? Nothing like planning ahead. Her other request was medical notes, I nearly told her we only had a luggage allowance of 3 bags.

The plan of packing goes ahead i.e. the pile on the spare bed is growing. Tea bags ...check. Foreign travel can be irksome without Earl Grey tea, best pack some Italian coffee too.

Has anyone got experience they would like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment